Thursday 4 April 2019

Teetotums - an answer to that socially tricky dice problem!


Teetotums - an answer to that socially
tricky dice problem!

At last I have managed to avoid the great controversy of the “The Six-Sided Variation”!

I can now use six-sided random number generators in my Castle Falkenstein games.

In the Victorian period, as we know from the corebook, dice were only used for gambling by a variety of ruffians and ne’er do wells.



The Victorians developed numerous board games which were socially acceptable for Ladies and even Children to play. These frequently required some sort of number generator and so teetotums and spinners were used to replace the Dastardly Dice that might lead the users to plunge into a Dangerous Moral Decline.






Teetotums from the period.

My Gentlemen players can, of course, use dice, albeit with certain reservations to avoid low slurs upon their moral characters.


Fortunately, at the last re-enactors’ market that I attended I discovered a purveyor of new teetotums (see above) and purchased several of them. Now my Lady players can happily enjoy the advantages of using the “Six-sided Variation” and my Adventure Entertainments are not punctuated by episodes of swooning!


No comments:

Post a Comment